|Born||September 30, 1933|
Michael John Parenti (born September 30, 1933) is a Statesian political scientist, academic historian and cultural critic who writes on scholarly and popular subjects. He has taught at US and international universities and has been a guest lecturer before campus and community audiences.
Parenti's writings cover a wide range of subjects: U.S. politics, culture, ideology, political economy, imperialism, fascism, communism, democratic socialism, free-market orthodoxies, conservative judicial activism, religion, ancient history, modern history, historiography, repression in academia, news and entertainment media, technology, environmentalism, sexism, racism, Venezuela, the wars in Iraq and Yugoslavia, ethnicity, and his own early life.
In 1974, Parenti ran in Vermont on the democratic socialist Liberty Union Party ticket for U.S. Congress and received 7.1% of the vote. This run was done with Bernie Sanders who at the time was friends with Parenti. This friendship ended when NATO waged war on Yugoslavia. Bernie stood with the imperialists. Parenti stood with the anti-imperialists.
- 1986: Monopoly Culture and Academic Freedom at the University of Vermont, April 9, 1986
- 1986: Reagan and the Russian–US Intervention in the Cold War at the University of Colorado Boulder, April 15, 1986
- 1986: Michael Parenti at Loyola University at Loyola University New Orleans, April 23, 1986
- 1986: Anti-Sovietism in the Media at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, November 20, 1986
- 1988: Superpatriotism and the Importance of Being Number One at Boulder, Colorado, August 1, 1988
- 1993: Conspiracy and State Power at the University of Vermont, April 21, 1993
- 1997: The Hidden Ideology of the News Media at the University of Vermont, Burlington, April 9, 1997
- 1999: The U.S. Empire and the War against Yugoslavia at St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church, Berkeley, 1999
- 1999: Berkeley Mother's Day for Peace 1999 at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Park, Berkeley, May 9, 1999
- 1999: The U.S. War on Yugoslavia at Seattle, Washington, May 16, 1999
- 2002: The Corporate War Against Democracy at Portland State University, September 14, 2002
- 2002: Terrorism, Globalism, and Conspiracy at St. Andrew's-Wesley United Church, Vancouver, October 9, 2002
- 2003: The Assassination of Julius Caesar at Venice, Colorado, June 29, 2003
- 2004: Creating a Sustainable Economy at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Long Beach, California, June 24, 2004
- 2005: Iraq and the Future of US Foreign Policy at Wesleyan University, Connecticut, April 18, 2005
- 2005: The Darker Myths of Empire: Heart of Darkness Series at the College of DuPage, November 16, 2005
- 2007: Lies, Wars, & Empire at Binghamton University, October 9, 2007
- 2010: Deep Ideology: How Reactionary Agendas Shape Political Awareness at the University Inn & Conference Center, Santa Cruz, May 14-16, 2010
- 2011: The Face of Imperialism and The 99% Solution at the University of Guelph, November 2, 2011
- 2012: Democracy and the Pathology of Wealth at the La Peña Cultural Center, Berkeley, January 6, 2012
- 2013: Michael Parenti on the Threat of US Imperialism in Vancouver, November 2013
- ↑ "Articles and Other Published Selections". Archived from the original on 26 October 2007.
- ↑ Michael Parenti (2007). Contrary Notions: The Michael Parenti Reader (p. 403). City Lights Books. ISBN 978-0-87286-482-5
- ↑ "Books by Michael Parenti".
- ↑ "Elections Results Archive". VT Elections Database.
- ↑ Bernie Sanders (1997). Outsider in the House: 'You Have to Begin Somewhere'.
- ↑ "Michael Parenti on Bernie Sanders".