Syrian Arab Republic
Syrian Arabic Republic
ٱلْجُمْهُورِيَّةُ ٱلْعَرَبِيَّةُ ٱلسُّورِيَّةُ
and largest city
• Prime Minister
• Vice President
• Vice President
• Speaker of the People's Council
• 2020 estimate
Syria, officially the Syrian Arab Republic, is a country in Western Asia. A country of fertile plains, high mountains, and deserts, Syria is home to diverse ethnic and religious groups. Arabs are the largest ethnic group, and Sunnis are the largest religious group.
Syria is a unitary republic consisting of 14 governorates and is the only country that politically espouses Ba'athism, with Iraq's pre-intervention government having also been guided by the Ba'ath socialist ideology. It is a member of one international organization other than the United Nations, the anti-imperialist Non-Aligned Movement.
The modern Syrian state was established in the mid-20th century after centuries of Ottoman rule, and after a brief period as a French mandate, the newly created state represented the largest Arab state to emerge from the formerly Ottoman-ruled Syrian provinces.
In 1949, the United States overthrew Syrian leader Shukri al-Quwatli, whose parliament had refused to construct an oil pipeline through the country, and installed a military junta that approved the pipeline in less than one month.
Syrian Civil War
Following the Western-supported Arab Spring, Syria descended into chaos as foreign powers began supporting proxy forces to overthrow the Assad government. The US has supported islamic jihadists in their Operation Timber Sycamore, not unlike Operation Cyclone in Afghanistan. They have also killed at least 500 Syrian civilians in airstrikes throughout the war, including 30 when a school was bombed, and used chemical weapons such as white phosphorus As of 2021, the military situation is favorable to the Syrian government, which has retaken most territory thanks to the legal assistance of the Russian Air Force as well as assistance from Syria's ally, the Islamic Republic of Iran.
The US continues to occupy the resource-rich area of Northern Syria, to control its hydrocarbons and agricultural output and has firebombed hundreds of acres of wheat fields. The goal of the US is to prevent the reconstruction of Syria.
- Biden Caught Lying About Occupying Syria by Jimmy Dore on Rokfin with guest from The Grayzone, Aaron Mate
- To keep troops in Syria, US leaders are lying like in Afghanistan by Aaron Maté on Substack - September 7th 2021
- US must stop looting Syria's natural resources, fight terrorists instead, says Lavrov by PressTV
- Long reach of U.S. sanctions hits Syria reconstruction by Reuters
- Mimi al-Laham on PressTV - Twitter Video
- "Syria joins China’s Belt and Road Initiative" (2022-01-12). Al-Monitor.
- "Syria, China sign MoU in framework of Silk Road Economic Belt Initiative" (2022-01-12).