Workers' Party of Korea
|General Secretary||Kim Jong-un|
|Founded||October 10, 1945|
|Youth wing||Kimilsungist-Kimjongilist Youth League|
Korean Children's Union
|Armed wing||Korean People's Army|
|International affiliation||International Meeting of Communist and Workers' Parties|
|Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of the WPK Central Committee|
The Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) is the ruling political party of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, as well as the vanguard of the Korean working class. It was founded by Kim Il Sung on October 10, 1945 and is guided by the Juche Idea. Independence, Songun and socialism are the strategic line of the Workers' Party of Korea. The President of the WPK is Kim Il Sung, the Chairman is Kim Jong Il, and the General Secretary is Kim Jong Un.
The Workers' Party of Korea's symbol is a yellow hammer, sickle, and brush. The hammer and sickle symbolizes the workers and farmers, while the brush symbolizes the intellectuals. Its color is yellow to symbolize that the party will prosper and shine forever.
The WPK has its roots in the Down-with-Imperialism Union (DIU) (Korean: 타도제국주의동맹) which formed in 1926, founded by Kim Il Sung and other communist youths during the struggle for Korea's liberation from imperial Japan. The DIU set as its immediate task the destruction of Japanese imperialism and achievement of Korea's liberation and independence, with the ultimate aim of building socialism and communism in Korea and destroying all imperialists and building communism throughout the world. The DIU's program of anti-imperialism and independence formed the basis of the program of the WPK, which was founded in 1945.
The WPK's first congress was held in Pyongyang in August of 1946. Its most recent congress, the 8th Congress, was held in January of 2021.
The 1st Congress of the WPK was held in Pyongyang in August of 1946.
The 2nd Congress of the WPK was held in Pyongyang in March of 1948.
The Third Congress of the WPK was held in Pyongyang in April of 1956.
The 4th Congress of the WPK held in Pyongyang in September of 1961.
The Fifth Congress of the WPK was held in Pyongyang in November of 1970.
The 6th Congress of the WPK was held in Pyongyang in October of 1980.
The 7th Congress of the WPK was held in May of 2016.
The 8th Congress of the WPK was held from January 5 to 12, 2021.
- "Workers' Party of Korea, organizer and guide of all victories". DPRK Today. Archived from the original on 2023-03-13. Retrieved 2023-03-13.
- Official USA Delegate (2013-01-18). "Workers’ Party of Korea and Juche Idea" Korean Friendship Association USA. Archived from the original on 2023-03-13. Retrieved 2023-03-13.
- Official USA Delegate (2016-04-25). "Strategic Line of the (WPK) Workers Party of Korea" Korean Friendship Association. Archived from the original on 2023-03-13. Retrieved 2023-03-13.
- "President Kim Il Sung". Naenara. Archived from the original on 2022-12-26. Retrieved 2023-03-13.
- Kang Sung Il (2022-04-21). "The noble meaning of the emblem of the Workers' Party of Korea" Kim Il Sung University. Archived from the original on 2023-03-13. Retrieved 2023-03-13.
- "타도제국주의동맹." Uriminzokkiri.
- Ro Myong Sim. "Historical Roots of the Workers’ Party of Korea." Explore DPRK. Archived 2023-09-28.
- "Understanding Workers' Party of Korea." Foreign Languages Publishing House, Pyongyang, Korea, 2016.
- "[North Modern History] The 7th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea held after 36 years" ("[북현대사] 36년 만에 열린 조선로동당 제7차 대회.") Tongil Times, 2023-05-06.
- "[북현대사] 새 격변기 준비한 조선로동당 제8차 대회." 북 바로알기, 통일시대. 2023.07.01. Archived 2023-09-28.